Friday, July 9, 2010

Checking out the locals


Jamaicans are often opposed to having their picture taken. The reason, as explained to me by our driver who's been hired for the week, is that Jamaicans feel you may publish the picture and profit from it. However, if you ask before taking the photo and offer a few dollars, they usually agree. All of the photos I took yesterday were taken from the window of a van moving at 50+ miles per hour. I set my camera to a fast shutter speed and came away with some amazing shots.

There are plenty of lessons to be learned here and I have embraced whatever opportunities come along. Yesterday, I was taught a Jamaican gospel tune that I later sang with the gentleman who sang it as a solo on Sunday for some visiting missionaries.

I have also learned few expressions in Patois, the local language, as I usually do when visiting any foreign country. Language is one of my passions.

I'm working on a movie in iMovie with all of the photos. So stayed tuned and visit me on Facebook for other posts and updates.

Everything is Irie, mon.

No comments:

Post a Comment